We hope all is well and you are making it through this frigid winter. We know it can be hard with children in Chicago during the wintertime. It is so hard to get them outside and give them the movement they desire/need for their bodies. I’m sure you are hearing “I’m Bored” a lot these days as well! It is important for their bodies that they get some physical activity in. This helps with their self-regulation, attention, and general health and well-being. Well, look no further, here are some fun filled activities for the whole family to participate in!
- Create a scavenger hunt around the house
- Make a whole house obstacle course including any of the following: army crawl, bear walk, crab walk, skip, hop on one foot, frog jump, crawl over pillows, walk backwards, somersault, or balance on a line.
- Play charades
- Play soccer, volley ball with a balloon or any game with your family
Fine Motor Activities:
- Fill spray bottles or eye droppers with colored water and “paint” the snow
- Make snow men out of construction paper and cotton balls
- Paint a picture
- Play board games with the family
- Bake cookies and decorate with sprinkles and icing
- Finger Paint
- Make full size pictures of themselves with rolls of paper
- Make rainbow loom bracelets
Enjoy! Before you know it winter will be over and Spring will be here!